A Small Adventure on Uncle Sam's Land 5.0
Hey guys, here comes the final chapter!
Week 5 (30/10-04/11/2022)
October has been the most enjoyable month in 2022! There were numerous eye-widening places in the United States I explored and found much different compared to Malaysia. This time, my Fellow friends and I went north to Minneapolis but before that, we had to clear things up before leaving Sonesta ES Suites where we stayed for four weeks. On Saturday evening, we had a pot luck dinner at its cafe and all of us cooked various local dishes to be shared together. To be honest, this was my first time cooking Malaysian dishes, i.e. Tomato Rice & Chicken Biryani.
Next day, we left Omaha again and headed to Minneapolis, the capital city of Minnesota. It also has a twin city which is known as St Paul, hence called Minneapolis-St Paul @ Twin Cities. Our journey took around six hours as we stopped twice for a short break and lunch. Once we arrived there, we stopped at Minneapolis Sculpture Garden where numerous artistic sculptures ranged from large "Blue Rooster" to "Cherry on Spoon"...
We stayed at Graduate Hotel Minneapolis situated at the heart of the University of Minnesota (UMN) campus for two nights. After checking in, I went out to have dinner with Razman, Rada, Azida, Sha and Jeffry at Caspian Bistro, a Persian restaurant. We selected a number of dishes, e.g. Koubideh and Chelou Kebab.
Later that night, Rada and I strolled around the campus vicinity and it was amazing! There is a tram service passing through there with several stops. While talking to each other, we also took some memorable photos of Twin Cities.
The next day, our first stop was Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota where we received a warm welcome from the administration team. They introduced briefly about academic programs offered by the school and opportunities for international students like us. We also got a glimpse of the school's complex including numerous world flags hanged inside that signify nationalities of international students enrolled there.
In the afternoon, Rada, Najihah, Jeffry and I had our lunch at Hufan Restaurant and Cafe, a Somali restaurant. Najihah told me that this was her first time trying a Somali meal and she likes it!
Later that night, Hasanah, Najihah, Wei, Jepoy, Michael and I made our way to Lola's Pizza, a local favorite known for their delicious wood-fired pizzas. I indulged in some more of their mouth-watering pizzas and dessert, savoring the flavors and textures, i.e. Veggie Margherita and DIY Ice Cream Sandwich.
The next day, we visited the Minnesota State Capitol. This impressive building is home to the state government and boasts stunning architecture and beautiful surroundings. We spent a few hours exploring the Capitol, learning about the state's history and admiring the grandeur of the building before having our lunch and this time, Razman, Rada, Najihah, Aminah, Jeffry and I went to a Turkish restaurant and enjoyed various meals there.
In the afternoon, we headed to Second Harvest Heartland, one of the largest food banks in the country for some volunteering work. I was impressed by the organization's commitment to fighting hunger and food insecurity. I spent the afternoon sorting and packing food for distribution to those in need with other Fellows.
Later that night, we were brought to the famous Mall of America, one of the largest malls in the country. I spent my time shopping souvenirs and books at Barnes and Noble Bookstore while exploring around other stores inside this gigantic shopping complex. I also got myself a "passport" in becoming so-called "Minnesota Honorary Citizen" XD
After spending three days and two nights in Minneapolis, we returned to Omaha to spend our final days in the USA. On the way there, we stopped at two famous sweeteries which are Minnesota's Largest Candy Store and Le Mars (the Ice Cream Capital of the World). We reached Omaha around 7pm and checked in at Holiday Inn Omaha Downtown.
The next day, all of us attended two final activities, i.e. Evaluation Session with the UNO Supporting Training & Evaluation of Programs (STEPs) Team and Farewell Lunch. Earlier session was conducted in the morning on Zoom and we are separated into two large groups. Once finished, we were brought to Gene Leahy Mall at the Riverfront Park to have our farewell lunch and closing ceremony. This was where some of us shared our conclusive reflections of the whole program (most of them were emotional tho :') We also received our Certificates of Completion acknowledged by the US Department of State during the session.
After that, we went to UNO again to capture as many final moments together before strolling around Elmwood Park to enjoy the sunset view. Later that night, Hasanah, Azida, Wei, Jepoy, Amie, Michael and I had our last dinner together at New Gold Mountain Restaurant and enjoyed ice cream at Coneflower Creamery.
Conclusion
To be honest, I could not describe how grateful I am for the opportunity to explore a small part of America through YSEALI Academic Fellowship program which I regarded as one of the most fulfilling life experience ever. Besides, I had multiple meaningful and inspiring conversations with the Program Team and other Fellows along the way and bittersweet memories with them have been engraved in my heart :)
In short, I just wanted to take a moment to express my heartfelt gratitude to everyone who has inspired, helped and supported me along the way, among others:
- My family members (Ibu, Ayah & Adinda);
- United States Embassy in Kuala Lumpur;
- Faculty of Law UKM;
- National Union of Malaysian Muslim Students (PKPIM); and
- Muslim Youth Movement of Malaysia (ABIM).
I cannot forget my Academic Fellow friends from all over ASEAN region who I met here and have been my companions on this journey. They have inspired me, offered me keen support and celebrated my successes all this while even until today. Special mentions go to:
- Razman Durhan (MY);
- Rada Rofek (KH);
- Nabhan Mudrik Alyaum (ID);
- Azida Azmi (MY);
- (Hasanah) Châu Bích Nhi (VN);
- (Najihah) Phạm Yen Nhi (VN); and
- (Aminah) Amie Oo (MM).
Last but not least, I am thankful to the UNO YSEALI Team Members (Julie, Michael, Dr Jodi, Dr Patrick, Val and Jonathan) and Student Ambassadors for their assistance and guidance along the journey.
Till we meet again next time, so long everyone!



Love to read this!!🤍
ReplyDelete